Who is NZCS?
NZCS members represent a wide range of coastal science, engineering, management and planning disciplines. They are employed in the engineering and environmental consulting sectors, in local, regional, and central government, in research institutes, in the tertiary education sector, and in schools.
NZCS is a technical group of the Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand (IPENZ). The multi-disciplinary nature of coastal management in New Zealand means many of our members are from areas other than engineering. There are no entry criteria for the society and we welcome membership enquiries from anyone with an interest in the coast.
To join the society, see the membership page.
To take a leading role in facilitating robust discussion and nationally-coordinated interactions to better manage and learn about our coastal and marine environment.
Sustainable management of New Zealand's coastal and marine environment underpinned by sound science, engineering and policy practice, comprehensive monitoring, involved communities and effective national networks.
The NZCS will promote this vision by being: visionary and innovative; communicative and effective; non-political and impartial; leading edge and strategic.
- Hold an annual conference
- Host regional seminars and networking events
- Publish the Coastal News magazine to keep members informed of coastal issues, projects and research
- Provide a regular email digest to members with upcoming events, news and job opportunities
- Facilitate networking between individuals and professional groups
- Support coastal research and study with student scholarships, awards and prizes
- Coordinate with universities and other research organisations
- Assist with the production of coastal publications (e.g. books, best practice guides, educational material)
- Support the development of best practice and informed comment on coastal management issues
- Host the bi-annual Australasian Coasts and Ports conference
- Raise public awareness of coastal issues through activity, press releases and publicationson-political and impartial; leading edge and strategic.